Both hand in the air, sophomore Danielle Whitmire preapres to set the ball to her fellow teammate. Whitmire is a setter and plays right side of the court.“I like to set because it gives me a sense of leadership on the court,” Whitmire said. “I get to run plays and run the offense.”
Caitlyn Ketzle

Varsity volleyball player sets new school record

Danielle Whitmire wins Star Local Media Athlete of the Week

Arms in the air, sophomore Danielle Whitmire prepares to set the ball to her teammates. 

Whitmire has played volleyball for the past six years. She is a part of the Walnut Grove Varsity Volleyball team and a Texas Advantage Volleyball club team. Throughout her volleyball career, she was recognized for her performance, skills, and contribution to her team. 

“I would say it has the biggest impact anything has ever had in my life,” Whitmire said. “It has brought me so many friendships and opportunities I never thought I would have.”

Before volleyball, she played soccer. At nine years old, Whitmire went to a club to try out for volleyball and made the team.

“I was like, ‘I think those tryouts went bad, Mom,’” Whitmire said. “And she was like, ‘No, you’re on the team,’ and then I just quit soccer from there, and I started playing”

All three of Whitmire’s older siblings played volleyball. Daniells’s mom, Francesca Whitmire, knew she would play volleyball like her siblings. 

“As the youngest of four kids, Danielle was reluctant to play volleyball like her older siblings did,” Mrs. Whitmire said. “We had a feeling she had potential to develop into a good player as early as age 10.”

Whitmire won Star Local Media Athlete of the Week. She was recognized for totaling twenty-four kills, sixteen digs, and twenty assists on Sept. 12 against Frisco Centennial, followed by sixteen kills, twenty digs and thirty-two assists on Sept. 15 against Frisco Emerson. 

“She has had several Tournament Wins with her club teams, but ultimately, we are proud of the hard work she puts in to develop her skills and conditioning,” said Mrs. Whitmire. “We are proud to see her working to lead by example and working to be a well-rounded student-athlete.”

Whitmire plays as a setter and right side on the courts. Between the two positions, Whitmire enjoys showing her leadership skills and leading by example for her teammates. 

“I like to set because it gives me a sense of leadership on the court,” Whitmire said. “I get to run plays and run the offense.”

Whitmire’s coach at Walnut Grove, Autumn Loyd, has recognized Whitmire’s skills as a leader with her team. 

“Danielle is a natural leader and holds natural influence,” Loyd said. “Danielle strives to be the best on and off the court, shown through her effort, energy, and dedication. She leads out of a place of love, which, in my opinion, is the most important aspect a leader can have.”

One of Whitmire’s older sisters, Madi Whitmire, played volleyball in college and at Prosper High School. Madi is her inspiration and continues to play a role in Whitmire’s growth as a player. 

“She set records at Prosper,” Whitmire said. “I’m trying to beat all her records.”

In the previous and upcoming volleyball games, Whitmire and her teammates worked hard together towards their goals and created the standard for the players in the future. Whitmire aims to win districts for the team’s first year together. 

“[I want to] hopefully win district and make it past the first round of playoffs, but we have to win district first,” Whitmire said. “And just create a good program for Walnut Grove in the future.”

“Winning,” Whitmire said. “I like to win.”

Whitmire’s friends and teammates work hard to win their games and start the first season to create high expectations for the years ahead. The team is important to Whitmire. 

“Just having them with me and doing it for them,” Whitmire said. “I don’t necessarily play for myself. I do it for my team.”

Whitmire’s accomplishments excite not only her teammates but also her mother. She was excited to hear her daughter won Lone Star Player of the Week. 

“It was exciting to see Danielle recognized among other impressive athletes in the Area,” Mrs. Whitmire said. “We know her team has been working really hard in their first season together, and it’s great to see Walnut Grove represented.”

Loyd also recognizes Whitmire’s hard work and dedication. Loyd is excited to see Whitmire achieving her goals within volleyball. 

“Danielle wants the genuine best for her teammates and the program,” Loyd said. “She’s stepped into a big role this year as a sophomore and is doing an excellent job. Danielle works tirelessly at her craft, and I’m very proud of her and the goals she’s achieving.”

Whitmire is looking forward to the next two years in high school and plans on continuing to play in college for Ohio State or Florida University. Being in volleyball allows Whitmire to overcome leadership challenges and gain skills that can be used in her future on and off the court. Being able to work on any team teaches hard work and dedication.  

“It’s a long process to get to where you’re going. It doesn’t come easily,” Whitmire said. “I’ve put so many hours into lessons, practice, or tournaments to get to where I am today, and I feel like it’s just going to keep going from there.”