The Student News Site of Walnut Grove High School

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

14 Movies to Watch This Valentine’s

The Wildcats Wired Staff shares their all-time favorite films to watch when love is in the air.
This graphic depicts some of our favorite scenes from the very best Romantic Comedies on our curated 14 Valentine’s Day movie list. (Ellie Schofield)

It’s finally Feb., and love is in the air! Now is the perfect time to binge watch all your favorite romantic comedies. The Wildcats Wired Staff curated a list of the very best movies for this Valentine’s season. 

1. The Proposal

Starring Ryan Reynolds and Sandra Bullock, The Proposal tells the unexpected love story between a pushy boss and her assistant as she forces a false engagement in order to keep her US citizenship. The two rush to get to know each other in hopes of proving their relationship is genuine, and in the process, a real romance blooms.

2. 10 Things I Hate About You

This 90s enemies-to-lovers romantic comedy tells the story of sisters Kat and Bianca Stratford and their ban on dating in highschool. unless hostile older sister Kat dates first. New student Cameron James has taken an interest in dating Bianca, and hatches a plan to set up Kat with the equally brooding Patrick Verona. Starring Julia Stiles, Larisa Oleynik, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, and Heath Ledger, this film perfectly captures teen angst, romance, and social life romanticized in the year 1999. 

3. 27 dresses

This sweet romance between a continual bridesmaid and a wedding section writer uplifts all viewers. Jane Nichols (played by Katherin Heigl) has been a bridesmaid 27 times and counting. She hopes to be married someday herself, and lives through reading the wedding newspage written by Kevin Doyle (James Marsden), who does not believe in true love.

4. Two Weeks Notice

A dedicated lawyer, played by Sandra Bullock, feels used by her boss, Hugh Grant, and eventually walks out on him. The two of them spent time together in and out of the office, and she begins to regret leaving him as he starts to realize their connection ran deeper than the workplace. 

5. The Notebook

The Notebook is a tale between two lovers and their romance that spans their whole lives. Noah (Ryan Gosling) has always loved Allie (Rachel McAdams) and constantly tries to show his love for her even when they are apart… Or when she can no longer remember. This film is passion-filled and bound to pull on the heartstrings of all viewers. 

6. Valentine’s Day

Set in Los Angeles, this iconic holiday film features various couples in different stages as they experience the emotional sensation of their relationships throughout Valentine’s Day. The film features both the good and bad that can come with love, and connects with the audience as they see characters grow and learn from their love lives. Among the cast of this movie is Bradley Cooper, Jennifer Garner, Anne Hathaway, and a short feature from Taylor Swift. 

7. 13 Going On 30

Thirteen-year-old Jenna Rink wishes she was older and more mature during her thirteenth birthday party after she embarrasses herself in front of her best friend Matty and the middle school clique known as the Six Chicks. Her wish magically comes true, and she is suddenly 30-years-old, living as a New York fashion magazine editor. Jenna has to find her way back to her real tween life, so she tracks down Matty, eventually sparking their adult romance.

8. How to lose a Guy in 10 days

Andie Anderson (Kate Hudson) is an advice columnist who wants her big break as she pushes the boundaries of what she can write. Tasked with the job of making someone fall in love with her and then breaking his heart all within ten days, Anderson finds her target in Ben Berry (Matthew McConaughey). Little does she know that he accepted a bet, that is much like hers, except he needs her to fall in love with him in 10 days. But as things unfold, their original plans backfire.   

9. You’ve got mail

Small bookshop owner Kathleen Kelly (Meg Ryan) hates the “Fox Books” franchise owner Joe Fox, because he is putting her out of business. However when they meet online, they have no idea who the other really is. Getting to know each other through the online site, they feel as if they really know each other. Joe ends up finding out that the girl he has been messaging is in fact the owner of his competition. Now he must figure out his feelings as he is in a love-hate relationship with a girl who doesn’t even know who he really is. 

10. Crazy Rich Asians

Taking a cultural twist, this movie showcases a new culture filled with light, color, and so much more to experience. Chinese-American professor Rachel Chu meets Nicholas Young, who comes from a very wealthy family, however she has no idea. When she accompanies her soon-to-be fiance to Singapore she realizes just how deep she is as she faces crazy fans, invasive family members, and the mother-in-law.

11. Pride and Prejudice, the 2005 version 

A beautifully written film with two lovers who were born to fall in love. Set in the 1800’s, Elizabeth Bennet (played by Kiera Knightly) is a brilliant, well-read woman and not everyone takes a liking to it. At a ball where a famously wealthy man, Mr. Darcy (played by Matthew McFadyen) catches her eye and that is where their story begins.

12. Notting Hill

Living in the Heart of London in a house with a blue door, a travel book shop owner, William Thacker (played by Hugh Grant) meets the girl of his dreams who also happens to be the world famous actor, Anna Scott (played by Julia Roberts). Thrown into the tumultuous romance life of Anna scott he is determined to stay together. The average guy with the movie star girl faces struggles of all kinds just to be together. 

13. Hitch 

The notorious “Date Doctor”, Alex Hitchens (played by Will Smith) mentors clients who want to get the person of their dreams. One Client, Albert Brenaman (Played by Kevin James) wants to win the heart of the charming Allegra Cole, but unfortunately he has no game. As Alex Hitchens, or Hitch, tries to help Albert out he is dealing with his own romantic situations. 

14. Sleepless in Seattle

Sam Baldwin (Tom Hanks) moves to Seattle with his son Jonah after the death of his wife. Jonah ends up calling a radio program to find a new wife for his dad. Sam gets on the line much to his own dismay, only to do it for his son, and ends up catching the hearts of thousands of women across the United States. One in particular, Annie Reed (Meg Ryan) decides to send him a message, despite the fact that she is engaged. Hesitant about where this will lead, she ends up telling him in the letter to meet him on Valentine’s Day in the Empire State Building. 

Each of these films contains the perfect mix of feel-good and romance, suitable for any Feb. movie night. Along with our 14 top picks, here are a few other options to add to your Valentine’s Day watch list!

• Monte Carlo
  • Confessions of a Shopaholic
  • My best friend’s wedding
  • Only you
  • She’s the Man
  • Flipped
  • She’s all that
  • Clueless