Advisory Class Removed

Advisory Class Removed

Due to feedback from a student survey, Jan. 16 will be the last day of advisory.

The advisory class period is attended every week on Monday. The class takes place between second and third period. The original intention of advisory was to connect students with a group and teacher. The administration hoped that these small groups would help students to be social and have an outlet for bonding with each other.

“We didn’t anticipate that to make those meaningful connections, it would be hard for kids because they met infrequently,” principal Dustin Toth said.

On Dec. 27, Toth sent a mid-year pulse survey to students and parents. The survey had statements like, “In class, the feedback I receive from my teachers helps me learn the material” and “I enjoy coming to school at Walnut Grove”. Students and parents answered each statement on a scale of strongly agree to strongly disagree. From this survey, Toth found that 51.7% of students do not enjoy advisory.

“I feel like advisory is a little useless,” sophomore Mia Martinez said. “We just move to another class to do nothing.”

Toth and the administrators heard this feedback and took action. Today, Tuesday, Jan. 16, will be the last day of advisory classes. Alternatively, students will remain in their second or sixth period. Students can be drafted to a teacher’s class for club meetings, tutorials, and test retakes at this time.

“We posted the survey to get feedback. I wanted to see what our students are thinking,” Toth said. “A lot of times my perception of something is just my perception. I know what to do once I know what direction people want.”

Despite the removal of advisory, Toth still plans for the Grove to have many connection opportunities for students. The campus has a variety of clubs and organizations for students to join. These clubs provide a space for students to get plugged into a social circle and an activity they enjoy.