22 Swim and Dive Finalists to Advance to Regional’s

Twenty-two swimmers and divers advanced to regionals and set meet records. Regionals are today for diving events and tomorrow for swimming events at the Frisco Natatorium starting at 9 a.m. 

Luke Sitz established the Boys Diving Record at 607.65. Mychal Morabito set the Girls 100 Butterfly at 56.95 and Grayden Barker at 50.26 for the Boys 100 Butterfly. In addition the team received advancements in multiple events. 

Also had multiple District champions in events. The Girls 200 Medley Relay, the Boys 100 Butterfly, the Boys 200 Freestyle Relay, the Girls 200 Individual Medley. We also had Luke Sitz in Boys Diving. Those were only 5 of the 12 events that had champions.

Boys Regional Qualifiers

Girls Regional Qualifiers“Regional’s is always one of the toughest meets of the year,” aquatics coach Chip Peeples said. “Our program had tremendous success in District and brought home two District titles, making us the target for Regionals. Our main focus for this meet is to qualify as many athletes to advance to the State Championship.”

His athletes are feeling enthusiastic. 

“I’m super excited for the meet this weekend,” Joel Peterson said. We’ve all been working hard this season, and we’re ready to go and race fast.”

Another regional qualifier, sophomore Grayden Barker, is ready as well. 

“I am feeling really good and excited. This week has been a good week in training at my club, and I know it will transfer over to the meet,” Barker said.

Peterson, Barker, and many other swimmers are a part of the school’s first-year swim program.

“Coaching at Walnut Grove has been a dream come true,” Peeples said. “I was fortunate enough to coach a lot of these athletes at Rock Hill the last few years, so getting the opportunity to work with Mr. Toth again and building a program from the ground up is truly something special.

Athlete, Tessa Northam, states her thoughts on the first year. 

“I have loved swimming for Walnut Grove this year mostly because of the love from Coach Stroh and Coach Peeples,” Northam said. “They have done a lot for me and my team.” 

Peterson also enjoys it and is excited for the match.  

“This season is like no other. I have enjoyed every second from morning practices and late-night meets to team dinners and pep rallies,” said Peterson. “I have loved it, and I’m excited to see what we can do in our championship meets.”