As she explains the handout page, Spanish Teacher Gaby Mora passionately enlightens her AP 5 Literature class on Hispanic culture throughout history. Mora has been teaching in PISD for four years, and is starting her first year establishing a National Spanish Honors Society at Walnut Grove. “I reached out to the principal and asked to be a part of this because I want to provide opportunities for my students to help the community,” said Mora.
Ellie Schofield

Spanish Honors Society impacts the community and fellow students

Gaby Mora hopes to immerse students in Hispanic culture and help them build character

Many teachers hope to set their students up for success. Through establishing a National Spanish Honors Society Chapter, Mrs. Mora, a multiple-level Spanish teacher at WGHS, has done just that and impacted the community.

Mrs. Mora sees her role in education as something much deeper than simply teaching students a new way of communication.

“When I’m teaching my language, I feel at home,” says Mora.

She was born and raised in Mexico City but moved to Texas eighteen years ago. Mora has been in education for fourteen years, four of which were within the Prosper Independent School District. 

“I just love to share not only the passion that I have for the language,” says Mora, “but [also] for my students to know the most important aspect of a language is the culture.”

Mora teaches AP 5 Literature, Honors Spanish 3 and On Level 2. At Walnut Grove, she also presides over the newly established NSHS, Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica. This is Mora’s first time leading an honors society, but she’s prepared to make it amazing for the students.

“I have so many ideas,” Mora said. “It’s student-led, but [I’m hoping] to provide different ideas and opportunities for them to have all the needed experience, being part of this committee-led society.”

Though the society is just starting, Mora and the five-member-led committee have already made plans to reach out to the community.

“We’re gonna be doing some activities with Rucker Elementary with the Dual Language students,” Mora said. “We are also trying to find opportunities for the Spring for a cultural night.”

However, not only does the society work to help the community, but also to help its fellow students. She wants them to immerse in the culture, but at the same time, Mora aims to keep the society student-led and student-focused. 

“I just want them to have fun and to connect with other students that have been part of the Spanish program,” Mora said. She hopes it can help them “continue learning the language so they can see the benefit in the future when they become professionals.” 

Mora sees her running this program as a way to allow her students to develop various skills and set them up for success.

“This society is for them,” Mora said. “One of my objectives to be part of the society is just to provide the members the opportunity to develop some leadership skills that will be very useful for them when they go to college, or [even further in] the future.”

Many of these students grew up in the Dual Language program themselves and used NSHS to put their Spanish expertise to good use. Senior Ryan Schryver, who has spoken Spanish since Kindergarten, now serves as the chapter’s Vice President. Ryan can meet the needs of Spanish speakers locally through this society.

“One time I was volunteering Neighbors Nourishing Neighbors, [and was helping] walk people through and collect food that they need,” Ryan said. He used his Spanish “by asking what they needed and what I could help with.”

This society has helped him use his Spanish to help others, but he has also seen benefits in his personal life.

“I’ve been able to go out and communicate with people I wouldn’t have been able to before,” said Ryan. “I kind of built like lifelong friends.”

This is exactly the connection Mrs. Mora hopes to encourage and continue. She wants the members to relate to each other and grow together as they immerse in the culture through service. 

Five members of the society have gotten a head-start on their connections with each other and leadership skills as they commence their leadership positions. Diego Perez-Mora shares what he hopes for this year as a Historian.

“I am looking forward to recording the activities and events of this chapter from the beginning and capturing special moments [so] others can enjoy our journey,” said Perez-Mora.

The leaders of NSHS pose for a photo displaying their newly established positions. Their committee comprises five officials: (Left to Right) Historian Diego Perez-Mora, Publicity Manager Rebekah Gomez, Vice President Ryan Schryver, Secretary Isabella Uber, and President Addie Maywald.

Whether those involved with this society are leaders, members, or observers, they hope to impact the community positively while celebrating Hispanic culture and improving their life skills.

“This new Sociedad Honoraria Hispánica chapter at Walnut Grove will be amazing and a great legacy for years to come,” said Perez-Mora.