The Student News Site of Walnut Grove High School

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

Course Selections Are In Full Swing

Ximena Castro Pinon
Sophomore student fills out next years schedule before course selection close on Jan. 29, 2024.

The end of the 2023- 2024 school year is coming to an end. Current and future highschoolers are picking out their schedules. Course selections have opened to help in the decision making process. They will close on January 29th.
“When I choose my courses I think of the amount of rigor,” sophomore Chloe Bernecker said. “I want classes that will challenge me and not overwhelm me.”
Students are required to pick eight classes, four core and four electives, with three alternative course options.
“ I take into account the future occupation I would like to take up,” Sophomore Mackenzie Garcia said. “I also take into account the classes I already enjoy doing.”
Choosing classes is a nerve wracking process. However, our the counselors help ease the stress. Dr. Hurbough, a school counselor, shares her input regarding the event.
“Students should review all of their past courses,” Hurbough said. “And follow the coursework sequence to ensure they meet all graduation requirements.”
A student is required to earn a minimum 26 total credits to graduate in the state of Texas. Classes are offered at different levels of complexity. Ranging from on-level courses to Advanced Placement courses.
“I always encourage students to try an advanced class to challenge themselves,” Hurbough said. “And prepare themselves for the next steps after high school.”
Each level offers different levels of GPA credits as well. Higher level courses are weighted more compared to on level courses.
“I am considering 4 AP classes,” Garcia said. “To get college credit and make sure I am ready for the next big step in my schooling career.”
There are also specialized courses offered, such as Anatomy and Physiology and Computer Science. These courses help students gain perspective towards their future field of study.
“I am really looking forward to the class Investments and Securities because I am very interested in the current global market,” sophomore Mackenzie Garcia said. “As well as seeing how it grows and declines based on world events.”
Electives can also help students determine what they want to pursue outside of high school.
“Students should look through the many electives available and choose a path that they find interesting,” Hurbough said. “You want to take a variety of coursework and course load.”
Students are also allowed to choose if they want an off- period.
“Students who meet the requirements a,” Hurbough said. “Are granted an off- period,.” Hurbough said.
To qualify for an off period, seniors must meet the CCMR status. Seniors must meet the required SAT, ACT, TSIA2, AP, and Dual -credit scores or complete a college preparatory course. Juniors must have 15 credits after high school and meet the CCMR status.
“ I am excited to take Dual credit English and AP Psychology,” Bernecker said. “ I love these subjects and I can’t wait to start my junior year.”