The Student News Site of Walnut Grove High School

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

66th Grammy Awards: Predictions

This image was created with Canva.
Abbie Fleeman
This image was created with Canva.

The 66th annual Grammy Awards are tonight at 5 p.m. CT. You can watch this music awards show on your local CBS channel or streaming on Paramount +. 2023 was a big year in music. For all the major categories, here is who I think should win and will win.

Record Of The Year

Nominations

• “Anti-Hero” – Taylor Swift
  • “Vampire” – Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Worship” – Jon Batiste
  • “On My Mama” – Victoria Monet
  • “Not Strong Enough” – boygenius
  • “What Was I Made For?” – Billie Eilish
  • “Kill Bill” – SZA
  • “Flowers” – Miley Cyrus

Should win: “Not Strong Enough” – boygenius

Will win: “Kill Bill” – SZA

“Not Strong Enough” has some of the most beautiful production I’ve heard on a song this year. The harmonization of the band members, Phoebe Bridgers, Lucy Dacus, and Julien Baker is unmatched. Overall, the song is one of my favorites to come out this year, but its success pales in comparison to that of “Kill Bill”. In early 2023, “Kill Bill” topped the charts, trended on TikTok, and became a fan favorite. The song is a highlight of SZA’s “SOS” album.

Album Of The Year

Nominations

• “GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo
  • “the record” – boygenius
  • “Midnights” – Taylor Swift
  • “SOS” – SZA
  • “The Age Of Pleasure” – Janelle Monae
  • “Did You Know That There’s A Tunnel Under Ocean Blvd” – Lana Del Rey
  • “Endless Summer Vacation” – Miley Cyrus
  • “World Music Radio” – Jon Batiste

Should win: “SOS” – SZA

Will win: “Midnights” – Taylor Swift

“SOS” is a masterful album, worthy of this award. The album features some of SZA’s best lyrics, vocals, and melodies. However, the Grammys’ tends to overlook R&B albums and award pop instead. Even though Taylor Swift has been in the public eye for around 16 years, 2023 was arguably her most successful. Midnights set the record for the biggest pop album of all time on Apple Music based on first-day streams and broke Spotify’s records for highest single-day and single-week streams. The album is backed by the highest-grossing music tour: The Eras Tour. Taylor Swift has been awarded Album of the Year three previous times. With these stats, Swift is the front-runner. “GUTS” and “the record” are two other possibilities that could win if “SOS” and “Midnights” have a split vote.

Song Of The Year

Nominations

• “Vampire” – Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Kill Bill” – SZA
  • “Flowers” – Miley Cyrus
  • “Dance The Night” – Dua Lipa
  • “Butterfly” – Jon Batiste
  • “Anti-Hero” – Taylor Swift
  • “A&W” – Lana Del Rey

Should win: “A&W” – Lana Del Rey

Will win: “Flowers” – Miley Cyrus

“A&W” showcases Lana Del Rey’s lyricism in a fresh way, supported by her angelic voice. The producer of the song, Jack Antonoff says in an Instagram caption announcing Rey’s album release, “can’t wait for everyone to hear this album – “A&W” is my favorite we’ve ever done”. “Flowers” and Miley Cyrus’ album “Endless Summer Vacation” were nominated several times in different categories. Considering the number of nominations for Cyrus, this category seems like her most likely one to win. The single received positive reviews from critics and debuted at No. 1 on the US Billboard Hot 100, staying there for eight weeks straight.

Best New Artist

Nominations

• Jelly Roll
  • The War And Treaty
  • Victoria Monet
  • Noah Kahan
  • Coco Jones
  • Ice Spice
  • Fred again..
  • Gracie Abrams

Should win: Noah Kahan

Will win: Gracie Abrams

Noah Kahan gained an impressive amount of popularity this year with his hit song “Stick Season” and his album of the same name. He has brought back folk-pop. Kahan has been compared to many famous artists like Mumford & Sons and Hozier. Gracie Abrams had a big year too. She debuted her first album, “Good Riddance” with the producer of Taylor Swift’s more recent albums, Aaron Dessner. Before releasing her first album, Abrams caught the attention of Taylor Swift, who brought her on as an opener for The Eras Tour.

Best Pop Vocal Album

Nominations

• “Midnights” – Taylor Swift
  • “- (Subtract)” – Ed Sheeran
  • “GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo
  • “Chemistry” – Kelly Clarkson

Should Win: “GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo

Will Win: “GUTS” – Olivia Rodrigo

Rodrigo won Best Pop Vocal Album in 2022 for her debut album “Sour”. “GUTS” received glowing reviews with hit singles like “Vampire”, “bad idea right?”, and “get him back!”. Rodrigo’s songwriting and voice are at their strongest on this album and stand apart from the other albums on this list. If Taylor Swift’s, “Midnights” wins Album Of The Year, it’s likely “GUTS” will win Best Pop Vocal Album.