The Student News Site of Walnut Grove High School

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

Wildcats Wired

Zach Bryan Boys of Faith Review

Zach Bryan Boys of Faith Review

Zach Bryan recently dropped an Extended Play (EP) called “Boys of Faith” and every single song has been on the Top 50 of the Billboards Top 100. This EP was unexpected because of Bryan’s fresh album that was dropped not even a month before “Boys of Faith” was released. This got everyone excited to see what other  songs needed to be released so soon after the album. 

Track 1: Nine Ball 

(8.5/10) 

The first track starts by drawing listeners in with the soft instrumental of the guitar that Bryan is playing. “Nine ball” is much more of a country style than most of the other songs he has sung. Bryan wrote the song about the relationship he had with his father, who was a habitual gambler. The first verses are about his father betting on the eight ball, but the deeper meaning is about empty and unfulfilled promises. You have to listen carefully to depict the deeper meaning, but this song truly speaks to self worth. Overall, I believe that this is an easy listen and one of the best songs on the album. 

Betting that his son will win again/My father was a betting man”

Track 2: Sarah’s Place (feat. Noah Kahan) 

(6/10)

Bryan’s collaboration with Noah Kahan was not surprising because of the similarities in both of the artist’s songs. Kahan’s breakthrough song was “Hurt Somebody” in 2017. He has gained a lot of traction since then because of his current worldwide tour  Sarah’s Place is written about the feeling of loneliness and longingness felt when someone important becomes absent. Sarah’s Place represents a person, place, or memory that doesn’t have the same joyful feeling as it did with the person’s presence. This song explores how loved ones can impact and influence your life. 

“Those backyard lights don’t shine as bright without your face”

Track 3: Boys of Faith (feat. Bon Iver) 

(7/10)

“Boys of Faith” is about reuniting with old friends and reminiscing about the memories shared. The song expresses many emotions including frustration about how slow- paced life is, and disappointment in  current circumstancess. A sense of lost hope and goals unfulfilled can be assumed based on the lyrics in the song. This song is very catchy and has a great tune. 

“But you stuck around when I was down/And I’ll owe you all my days” 

Track 4: Deep Satin 

(4/10) 

“Deep Satin” is about reflecting on past relationships and truly understanding the complexities of love. It also hints at the theme of wanting to be understood by peers. The second verse of the song is about being disconnected from the roots of a his life. He  hasn’t visited home in a while and they are mistaken by the people they used to know. They go back to their hometown to distance themselves from their present circumstances. 

“When you see the lights when you hear the rain/There ain’t a chance you’re thinkin’ of me”

Track 5 : Pain, Sweet, Pain 

(9/10)

This song is perfect to wrap up the album touching on themes of resilience, pain, and growth. The true theme expressed throughout the song is that pain is a great teacher. The song starts with lyrics about the desire to learn from past mistakes. Leading into the very self reflective chorus which also shows signs of personal growth. Overall “Pain, Sweet, Pain” encourages listeners to learn from their mistakes and grow from them. This was my favorite song on the EP because of the soft spoken words of advice and the peaceful guitar in the background. 

Overall, “Boys of Faith” was a very easy listen EP with each song building and complementing the next. The other artist complemented his voice and lyrics in a very complex way. Bryan did an amazing job incorporating the featured artist just as much as he did himself.